Thursday, May 20, 2010

AS A WEANED CHILD

A. Brother
©2009 Narrowgate Publishing


        “My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.”  --Psalm 63:8

        “My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.  But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.”  --Psalm 131:1,2

        Vivid images come into my mind.  Of a small toddler, no longer being held in the mother’s arms to breast feed, but instead, willingly running to its mother to be held close in times of distress or fear.
          How tightly these little arms hold.  Circled around mom’s neck, he clings with all his strength and receives comfort and a feeling of safety.

          David knew God’s comfort in severe affliction.  He knew how to run to His Father and cling to Him like a weaned child.

          David was King.  Head of a nation.  Yet he says he put aside great matters to cling to God.  He acknowledged that he was a child in spirit, and he took the time to still and quiet his soul and to cling to God.  Why do we not do the same on a daily, hourly, momentary basis?

          Where is my humility?

          Do I trot it out at church gatherings to impress others with my sincerity? Do I live the rest of my moments with the bold confidence of human arrogance, sure in myself that I am capable to deal with the great matters that come my way?
          Have I bought into the world’s way of thinking?  The “just do it” sloganeering?  The “tunnel under, go around, go through” snappy substitute-for-true-faith ideas?  The humanistic philosophies that are well-crafted lies designed by Satan to deceive even the chosen of God into trusting in themselves?
          Do the posters on the walls of our minds reflect the false bravado of the human endeavor, or the humility of the true disciple of Christ, who clings with deep need, and deep love, to the neck of his or her God every moment?
          Brothers and sisters, we are in grave danger.

          We have grown up in an era that has brainwashed us with tripe.  We have heard and been raised on humanistic philosophy that has crept its way into the lexicon of our language, even our language within the Body of Christ.  Some of this has been dispensed in excellent marketing campaigns and officially dispersed by some less-than-humble and very self-confident teachers and leaders within our churches.

          Our hope and confidence are to be in God alone.  The plans and aspirations we hold are to be generated by Him.  Whatever your position in life, and responsibility in that position, you are to be wholly given to God, and your complete trust and confidence are to be in Him—that He will give you His answers, His wisdom, His insight, and that any success in this position will bring glory and honor to Him through your faithfulness.  Your testimony is to witness to His love and power, not your own.

          Our examples are clear in Scripture.  Men like Daniel, David, Moses, Joshua and Joseph.  These men held high positions among the heathen nations, or among God’s people.  They succeeded, but through fiery trials, and had to stand their ground for God in the face of great opposition.  And they suffered for their faith, sometimes died for it.

          You will rise, if it be the Lord’s will, in business or in government, or in medicine, or in law, or in whatever endeavor you obey the Lord to undertake.  Yet you must do it as a man or woman apart.  Not as a compromised, chummy-with-the-world friend of the ruling regime of godless pagans.  Study Daniel and Joseph for examples.

          We must be like David, who, even though weighed down with the affairs of running a country, waited expectantly for the Lord and His Word every day like a child, clinging to God’s neck, listening for His kind and loving Word to Him.  Waiting for those words of encouragement and comfort.

          Brethren, if we truly seek to follow Jesus, we will be as Lot was in Sodom.  His soul was troubled daily by the evil, godless environment in which he lived.  Yet our God will keep us and deliver us.

          Listen to the Word for you today, whether you sit in a lofty penthouse office, or take up your shovel to dig a ditch.

          “I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I put my hope.  My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning.”
                                                                                         --Psalm 130:5,6

        “It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.  He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on the heights.  He trains my hands for battle…”  --Psalm 18:32-34

          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please give me your honest response.

LATEST NEWS

A. BROTHER'S FIRST BOOK RELEASED. "EVEN THE DEVILS HAVE RELIGION". 100 Collected Prophetic Words from A. Brother.

For the first time, A. Brother's messages are being compiled in a series of books.  These will be released periodically over the coming ...